Our education practice offers a significant wealth of knowledge that spans K-12 schools through colleges and universities. We know how vital education is to our community, and we understand the unique obstacles education institutions face every day. With a dedicated practice of over 50 professionals serving education clients, we have the experience and aptitude to ensure your institution excels in tackling budgeting, fundraising and grant compliance, regulatory compliance and board governance, unrelated business income tax (UBIT), increased reporting responsibilities, taxable and tax-exempt debt financing, and compliance, alternative investments, student financial aid, and endowments.
Educational institutions that plan and address these important issues can make a lasting impact on their future and long-term success. We work with numerous educational institutions daily and have a proven track record of being a trusted advisor when most needed. We emphasize continuous open communication throughout the year in order to have a complete understanding of your operations, risks, needs, and concerns. With our local presence backed by national and international resources, we offer a broad range of specialized assurance, tax, and consulting services, designed specifically to help meet the continuing challenges institutions face, as well as address our educational institution clients' needs.
services we provide
Mauldin & Jenkins presently provides services to over 500 Educational Institutions in the Southeast on an annual basis. Consequently, our Mauldin & Jenkins professionals are thoroughly versed in Education Institutions and we consistently provide the highest quality of service to our clients.
- Form 990 and 990-T Tax preparation
- Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) Assessment & Consulting
- Sales & Use Tax Preparation & Consulting
- State Registration and Filing Assistance
- Planned Giving Advisory Services
- Private Use Analysis for Tax-exempt Bonds
- Formation of Taxable & Non-Taxable Subsidiaries
- Corporate Formation & Application for Tax-Exempt Status
- Resolution of Tax Notice Issues
- Assist with information reporting for 1099, 1098 and other compliance reporting issues
- Preparation of Foreign Reporting Forms
- Financial Statement Audits, Reviews, and Compilations
- OMB Federal Uniform Guidance Single Audits
- NCAA and Other Agreed Upon Procedures
- Employee Benefit Plan Audits
- Financial Feasibility & Forecast Studies
- Bond Issuance Procedures
- Board Governance Policies & Procedures Consulting
- Outsourced Chief Financial Officer Services
- Bookkeeping Services
- Risk Assessment & Internal Control Evaluations
- Federal Stimulus Consulting
- Budget and Forecasting Services
- Strategic Planning
We are proud to be one of the few firms in the Southeast to pilot artificial intelligence tools as part of our audit process to leverage machine learning and improve the effectiveness of an audit. We also have resources to address the evolving cybersecurity threats to your government, having Certified Information System Auditors (CISA) and Certified Information Systems Security Professionals (CISSP) on staff.
A selection of information technology services we currently provide to governments include:
- SOC for Cybersecurity
- Cybersecurity Framework Assessments
- IT System Vulnerability Assessments & Penetration Testing
- Physical and/or Electronic Social Engineering Stimulations/Campaigns
- Annual Cybersecurity Training
our areas of experience and expertise
- Private K – 12 School Institutions
- Private & Public College and Universities
- Supporting Organizations of Public College and Universities (i.e. Philanthropic Foundations, Real Estate Foundations, Athletic Associations, Research Foundations, Alumni Associations, etc.)
- Charter Schools
Commitment to Education Institutions and Nonprofit Organizations
We are proud members of the Georgia Independent School Association (GISA), Georgia Independent College Association (GICA), Georgia Center for Not-for-Profits, Georgia Society of Certified Public Accountants (GSCPA), National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) and the Southern Association of College and University Business Officers (SACUBO). We are actively involved and sponsors of the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), as well as the Georgia Educational Advancement Council (GEAC). A member of the firm sits on the AICPA Uniform Guidance National Task Force. Mauldin & Jenkins is a member of the AICPA Government Audit Quality Center. A member of our higher education practice is a Certificate Government Finance Manager (CGFM) and a member of the Government Finance Officers Association National Review Committee to review Consolidated Annual Financial Report (CAFRs). We demonstrate our commitment to serving Education Institutions through our speaking engagements and training courses. Mauldin & Jenkins have been featured presenters at GISA conferences, GICA conferences, GSCPA Not-for-Profit conferences, NACUBO conferences, SACUBO conferences, GEAC conferences, the annual CASE District III conference, the annual CASE Institutionally Related Foundations (IFR) conference, and various other University System of Georgia training conferences.
Mauldin & Jenkins recognizes that a contributing factor to long-term success in the education industry is the development of trusted relationships with professionals. To facilitate this, our high quality, comprehensive accounting and financial services allow our clients to focus on their continuing evolution and the institutions success.